Friday 26 January 2018

Swift Knit MEGA scarves

Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while will know that I am a chunky-yarn-lover. 


The bigger the better, in my opinion. 


My good friends at Stylecraft Yarns are no strangers to chunky yarn and recently, I used Swift Knit for my slouchy hat in Supersize Crochet - I just loved the softness and warmth of the yarn and the way the different colours worked together. So when they launched Swift Knit MEGA and asked if any of the Blogstars would like to try it, I knew it would be a winner.

And I wasn't disappoined. It's the same mix of 80% Acrylic 20% Wool, but in a huge 200g ball, with 70m of yarn and a recommended hook/needle of 15mm.



















My first experiments were with crochet, where I tried an easy textured stitch and I loved the result. In fact, I adapted this slightly and used the Wedgewood colourway for a super-chunky cowl in Issue 97 of Inside Crochet magazine.


Now, you might have noticed that there has also been a LOT of knitting going on here recently. I am loving the easy-knit projects I've been working on and, as someone who is still a novice in these matters, simplicity is the way forward for me.

And so, when the kids asked for warm scarves, I knew exactly what I'd do with my Swift Knit Mega: knit them in one each in garter stitch.



There are two things I love about garter stitch: 
1) it's just knit stitch on repeat
2) it's SOOOOOOO squishy 

The Swift Knit Mega works beautifully in this pattern - I love the subtle colour changes and the squishiness of the yarn is just perfection. Plus, it only takes one ball to make a good-length scarf.


Here's what you'll need if you want to make one:

1x ball of Stylecraft Swift Knit Mega; my colours were Peony (2143) and Wedgewood (2144)
15mm needles

Cast on 8 stitches
Knit every row until you run out of yarn, leaving enough for cast-off.

Job done.
Happy kids.

If you'd like to read more about the Stylecraft Blogstars and see what they've been up to, then follow the link.

Enjoy your week, and stay warm
Sarah xxx





4 comments:

  1. I love chunky too, nice and fast! Love those colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those scarves look so squooshy and soft. Such pretty colours too. I think garter stitch is about the extent of my knitting capabilities! I didn’t even know it was called garter stitch! ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. what size needles do you use

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, so leave a comment or ask a question and l'll reply to you right here.
Have a fab day.
Sarah Xx